S. D. Phadnis (Shi Da), eminent cartoonist
Senior illustrator and cartoonist S. D. Phadnis ( Shi Da ) needs no introduction. Every household in Maharashtra has seen and enjoyed his cartoons. Several generations have grown up with a smile on their face, appreciating his subtle humour. He is someone who has perfected the art of making us aware of the oddities in our day to day lives and the subtle humour around that we possibly miss out on. His play of lines, forms and shapes infuse deep meaning into the most mundane things around us. It was our privilege that he agreed to do a demonstration video of cartoon drawing for Khula Aasmaan.
Cartoon drawing demonstration by cartoonist S D Phadnis
Khula Aasmaan requested him to talk to the children on the art of cartoon drawing along with a demonstration. He agreed and the result is these two beautiful and insightful videos on art of cartoon making. These videos will not only be of great value to the children but also their parents and teachers.
Profile of cartoonist S. D. Phadnis
Born in Bhoj, Belgaum, India, S. D. Phadnis completed his art education from Sir J.J. Institute of Applied Art, Mumbai. He designed the cover of the Diwali special issue of the Marathi magazine Mohini every year since 1952. He was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Indian Institute of Cartoonists in June 2001. A number his cartoons have been exhibited and published by the Montreal International Salon of Cartoons. He was invitee participant in ‘Cartoons from India’ exhibition at Frankfurt Book Fair.
- 2012 : ‘Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad Puraskar’ for the book ‘Reshatan’ written by S. D. Phadnis.
- 2011 : Interview (with pictures) on TV channel IBN Lokmat, in ‘Great Bhet’ series
- 2011 : First Huns Puraskar by Huns Publications
- 2011 : ‘Jeevan Gaurav Puraskar’ by International Longevity Centre, India
- 2006 : Invitee participant in ‘Cartoons from India’ exhibition at Frankfurt World Book Fair
- 2001 : Lifetime Achievement Award, by Indian Institute of Cartoonists, Bangalore
- 2000 : Su. La. Gadre Matoshri Puraskar, Mumbai
- 2000 : Marmik Puraskar, Mumbai
- 2000 : Ravi Paranjape Foundation Award, Pune
- 1997 : Chitrahas and Laughing Gallery tours the US and the UK
- 1987 : University Grants Commission (UGC) broadcasts S. D. Phadnis programmes on National Television
- 1970 : First book of select cartoons, Laughing Gallery published
- 1966 : Laughing Gallery held in New Delhi. Inaugurated by former Indian President Zakir Hussein
- 1965 : First exhibition of coloured originals, Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai
- 1954 : Recieves Outstanding Editorial Art Award by Commercial Artist’s Guild (CAG), Mumbai
- 1952 : First humourous cover on a Diwali Special issue of Mohini
- 1951 : First humourous cover on Huns magazine